HRO to Texas

General Discussions.
carnage aligner
HRO to Texas

Post by carnage aligner » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:13 am

http://www.hamradio.com/news_announcements.cfm

Right up the street from work! I bet they bought out Texas Towers..........

Craig KV5E
Craig A. Green KV5E
http://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/Search.event
Fingerprint: RSA 2048: 863A 389D AE5B FDFB 4B71 8925 0934 880B 3059 279B

N5ATM

Re: HRO to Texas

Post by N5ATM » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:51 am

Ok, I just saw this. This is great news! Even better if they got rid of Texas Towers in the process. Anyone know if that is the case?

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 pm

I have not heard that TT is going away, but with all the store frontage available in the DFW area, it is likely more than a coincidence that they are opening just blocks away from the current location. HRO has a great reputation for service before and after the sale.
יזכר לא עד פעם

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:51 pm

I was curious about the HRO progress so I checked their page. Nothing. Called and talked to a guy at one of the stores. He wasn't sure but investigated and called me back. The scoop is that they will open about the first week of February. Further, the HRO leadership had at some point approached TT about a buy out but were rejected. Hence, a new store just blocks away. We should be able to get some nice pricing and great customer care, at least for awhile.
יזכר לא עד פעם

W5NDC

Post by W5NDC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:20 pm

HRO opening Monday Feb 2nd @ 10 AM.

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 am

Woo Hoooo!!
יזכר לא עד פעם

W5NDC

Post by W5NDC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:49 am

Well it's official now! Going to try to swing by maybe at lunch or after work since I am off Plano Pkwy anyways and have to go that way. Hopefully they have the new ICom HT so I don't have to order it.

http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=20

W5NDC

Post by W5NDC » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I was able to swing by HRO today at lunch and browse around. I must say it is a very impressive store. Not large, but a decent size store to carry enough toys and any accessories you might need or want. Bigger than Texas Towers for sure. I can see myself spending a lot of money in there. No, I take that back. I will be spending a lot of money in there. Store is very well laid out and fully stocked with everything you could possible need or want right now. They were still stocking merchandise but for the most part they had everything stocked except for the HF rigs where they will have several stations where you can demo units. They did have all their HT and mobile rigs in cases where you could get hands on with them and check them out up close and get hands on and try out different accessories which was really nice too. Even though you will have to pay tax now versus not having to before online and getting free shipping if your total was over $99. For me the convenience of being able to have it right then will offset the tax and waiting to have it shipped. I can easily see them putting a huge hurt on what little walk in traffic that Texas Towers has which wasn't or do I think was much anyways since they don't even have a fraction of the merchandise that HRO has and Texas Towers is mainly internet sales and they have made that clear on numerous occasions. Since they have both been established online retailers for many years. I don't see Texas Towers going any where but, their walk in sales will greatly be affected due to the amount of stock HRO has and the reasonable pricing. The only disappointment I had with HRO is there was an HT and Mobile rig I wanted and asked them if they could hold it until Wednesday with a deposit and they said no. I don't think that is good business to turn away a potential sale in a newly established location with new local customers but, to each their own. The product will get sold regardless in their eyes and that might be true. It would just make for a better customer relationship if they were able to go above and beyond making a sale if it kept the business in their store versus me going out and getting it somewhere else for cheaper due to no tax and free shipping if it came down to that if the product was gone when I went back out there. So just keep in mind they will not hold anything even for a couple days even with a deposit. Other than that, very friendly staff and knowledgeable and were willing to take as much time with you as they needed and they had several sales people on staff to help you. While they are open now, they said their official Grand Opening is Feb 28th where they will be having several vendor giveaways. So might be worth making a visit on that day too. Overall, very impressed and it will be very nice to have a store close enough to get anything you might need without having to wait for shipping. Not to mention a Frys is across the street for all your other electronics needs you might need.

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Went by the store Saturday afternoon, made a small purchase, and got a copy of the Garnd Opening events schedule. As follows:
Feb 28---Ray Novak fro m Icom, Bob Heil from Heil Sound, and Martin Jue from MFJ

March 7---Goredn West with W5YI Group, Phil Parton from Kenwood, Mic Stwertnik from Comet Antennas, and Marc Abramson from ABR Industries

March 14---Karin from RT Systems, Dennis Motschenbacher and Chris Wilson from Yaesu, Jim Newcomb from Prye and Rick Ruhl from Ham Radio Deluxe (the cool general purpose software package)

March 21---Keven Karamanos from Powerwerx, Wayne and Denise Bauman from Diamond Antennas and Vicki from US Tower

March 28---Raj Gounder from Alinco, Davis RF, and a rep from Uniden

No tims were published; I presume all will be there much of the day. Store hours are 10 am to 5:30 pm

Not everything is set up just yet. The sample radios are for the most part not out yet, but when I opened the door I new I was in a new store--fresh carpet, fresh paint, fresh furnishings. They have everything out on the shelves or hanging from hooks. Didn't see any big dollar HF rigs out everything else including prefabed cables, connectors, power supplies, mobile radios and all the gear to make them work. I guess I found my new home away from home.
יזכר לא עד פעם

ki5dx

Post by ki5dx » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 am

Dont forget about your other local store! MTC, I know they would have been more than happy to take a deposit and hold a rig for a few days. They will also do lay away, trade ins and financing. Free next day shipping on orders over $100 into DFW. For those that do not know, MTC is a Mom and Pop business and has or can get almost anything you want. 90 miles from Mesquite. MTC has always given back to the ham community here, helping new hams, clubs and others. Fair and honest business practices with mom and pop service. Very Flexible and eager to help customers unlike corporate owned chain stores.
To be fair though, I do think it is awesome that DFW is getting a real ham store. You guys have needed something there for years

Main Trading Company
2707 Lamar ave
Paris Texas 903-737-0773
www.mtcradio.com

Richard