FCC going paperless

General Discussions.
W5NDC
FCC going paperless

Post by W5NDC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Came across this today and thought I would share.

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-paperless- ... ebruary-17

ab5rm

Re: FCC going paperless

Post by ab5rm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:00 am

I saw this too. It's probably been coming for some time. The FCC used to issue licenses on a paper stock printed with a pastel pattern that was unique. You needed to carry a copy of the mini license that was printed at the bottom of the page. Then the rules changed, and changed again. I remember calling them to check on my license and being told what my new callsign was, but couldn't use it until the letter arrived which was still another two weeks at the time. Just deadly. Now it seems to be good enough if you can find your data on their web page. It will save them some money on printing and postage, and if I read it right, you can still get a copy of the license on paper, but truthfully, I keep all those license documents in a special place and have never had a need to pull anything out to show to anyone. Just one more tradition that's going away.
יזכר לא עד פעם

W5NDC

Post by W5NDC » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:59 am

I am glad you came across that part too about still being able to get a printed one upon request. I wasn't sure if I read that right ether. Like you, I have my documents in a fire proof safe tucked away too. When I got my vanity plates I didn't even take my official copy. I just printed my information from the ULS page and they accepted it. One thing I am curious about with it being the government and all that wasn't mentioned is if there will be a fee to download the lic to print it off. Can't imagine them not making any money off this in some fashion. I am really surprised they don't have an app yet that would allow you to pull up a digital copy the same way you can do with your auto insurance. Then again, like you mentioned. I've never needed to show proof of it so no reason to carry it. So you're right, another tradition going away. I guess you can no longer wait for your "Ticket" to arrive anymore. That reminds me. I don't think I ever received a copy from the FCC for my Vanity call. I think that might be why I printed it from the ULS page. Guess I better call them to request a paper one before it is to late.

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:20 am

Amateur licenses have always been essentially free by law. The fees paid for testing go to the VEC. I suspect you can give it a couple of weeks and they will have a button on there somewhere to request a paper copy if it isn't there already. The state has funny ways of messing up license plates. George Rice is KC5TOO but the computer system has it recorded as Kay Cee Five Tee Zero Zero. Go figure. I always feel badly for the guys who need a Ø. The folks in Austin must have their heads spinning with those.
יזכר לא עד פעם