Field Day location 2016

General Discussions.
K5SLR
Re: Field Day location 2016

Post by K5SLR » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:51 pm

I just went by the site and walked the perimeter again, this time tape measure in hand.

Distance from NE corner of the tower to NW corner if the building is approx 70 ft. ( 66 E-W, 25 N-S, both with pretty good visual references for alignment. )

For north of the tower, there is a good sized tree ( outside the fence to the North ) and the light pole. The light pole has no exposed electrics, and has a stout looking hook on the north side. Good high anchor point. I have a tennis ball cannon and fishing reel setup that should be able to get a string over the tree. Second good high anchor point. Tower as third anchor and feed point. So an 80m full wave loop there.

To the SW, there is another reasonably tall tree for one corner. There is another power pole, but we'll have to be careful to use it. Maybe the fence, or one of my crank up stands to get some height there. Opposite corner ( SW ) of the tower for feed point. 2nd 80m full wave loop.

I have 150 ft of LMR-400 for one feed ( HF plus UHF-VHF ).

I spoke with Sean Fox in the Home Depot parking lot a little while ago - he'll be joining us and will be bringing his radios. So looks like we've got our 2A + UHF/VHF lined up. Extra radios just in case - bring em if you have em.

I'll have to rig an adapter, but I have a 100ft 8-4 type SOJ power cord. That would let us put the generator out by the tower so we don't have to listen to it quite as loudly all night.

I have a couple of ice chests I can bring as well. One is a 40-50 quart superinsulated one - good for ice storage. Then a normal 54 quart one.

ke5nss

Post by ke5nss » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

oops. 141' from the tower to the far corner behind the ne corner of the building.

My notes are scratchy, but looks like 28 yds from the tower to the building, or 84'.

Good catch.

ke5nss

Post by ke5nss » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Todd, did you receive the corrected layout? you were correct. Thanks.

K5SLR

Post by K5SLR » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 am

I did indeed. Back to plan A. You had me worried for a bit there. :)