Cheap 2m mobile rig

Technical discusions.
KE5YXN
Cheap 2m mobile rig

Post by KE5YXN » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:17 am

Anyone have any recommendations? Pretty strapped for cash but am itching to get back on the radio. Anything on the used market I should keep an eye out for?

N5ATM

Re: Cheap 2m mobile rig

Post by N5ATM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am

I don't have a particular model to suggest. I always go with the dual band radio to get more coverage. You can probably find some very cheap single banders used though if that is what you prefer. I buy all my rigs used and simply start paying close attention to eham and qrz. You can do searches on them and get an idea for what the rigs are going for and if you know which one your looking for, you can spot a particularly good deal on it when you see it.

I would avoid ebay unless you know exactly what to pay for the rig you want. Ebay gear is typically over priced, especially if your not aware of the true going price.

ab5rm

Post by ab5rm » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I agree. It's nice to have a new radio with a warranty, but then if it works it works. I think I would avoid the new Chinese rigs with names you can't pronounce. From what I have heard, programming can be a challenge, and that isn't something you want. Avoid buying anything just because it is cheap. It could turn out costing a fortune in time and treasure. The least expensive name radio I see at Gigaparts is a Yaesu FT1900R for $125. You'll need an antenna as well and it can cost as much as a radio. Decide where you want to mount the antenna and then figure out what to buy to do the job. Some mounts and inexpensive antennas can be had on eBay you pay attention. I use a cheap antenna that works just fine, and if it is stolen, I don't cry. Call MTC up in Paris and he can take care of you. Probably has some used rigs for less than new prices. Watch out for those Chinese radios though. He'll want to sell one to you.
יזכר לא עד פעם

KE5YXN

Post by KE5YXN » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 am

I forgot about MTC, whoops! I've seen those Chinese radios and for the price it just seems to good to be true.

For a mount I was looking to do something like these http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/shopantenna.htm to install on the front fender/hood gap on my truck.

I would probably narrow my search down to Yaesu seeing as I have a VX-7R and have been impressed with the little guy.